Brainstorming On How To Stop The Guest Bedroom From Being Boring

We have a small guest bedroom in the basement of our home with an en suite, which is basically my mums room as she stays every other week or so. When we moved in, the room was painted the same shade of magnolia every other room in the house was painted, so I gave it a couple of coats of Teresa's Green by Farrow & Ball. Even though I still love this paint colour, the room seems, well, so boring. When I go into the room it is completely uninspiring. It doesn't help that the furniture in the room is all 'left overs' taken from different rooms we brought with us from our old house. These are 'make do' items that the room needs functionally, but haven't been brought to complement the room, or the other items in it.

The guest bedroom as it currently looks as you walk in.

The guest bedroom as it currently looks as you walk in.

The starting point for this project is trying to decide what to do with the wall adjacent to the door into the room, featured here behind the sofa. I do not want to redecorate the whole room, and I want to keep the Teresa's Green, but that back wall is screaming out for something to be done with it. At first I thought of a wallpaper feature wall, but I could not find anything that tied in with the Teresa's Green for such a small space. I wanted pattern, a feature, but something that really worked with the existing paint.

While trying to brainstorm how to 'banish the boring' from the guest room, Inkmill Vinyl got in touch. Inkmill Vinyl can create for you bespoke, high quality custom vinyl stickers and decals for your walls or windows. How it works is that you pick a design from their large catalogue of vinyl wall art stickers or frosted window film, then customise the size, finish and the colour of the design to your requirements. If you are feeling particularly creative you can send them your own design to print off. The wall stickers and decals are self adhesive, easy to remove and made from the highest quality vinyl.

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

One of the designs that caught my eye was this hexagon pattern. I thought this could be great for the rear wall as I could put the wall decal over the paint, and the Teresa's Green would still be visible in the hexagon gaps. I think this design would look good in my guest room the colour it is in the photo, but I could change it as Inkmill vinyl print the design any colour you like.

Yellow works well - I could then add yellow accessories to really brighten up the space by bringing in vibrant colour.

Yellow works well - I could then add yellow accessories to really brighten up the space by bringing in vibrant colour.

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

I also love this Islamic Tile Design - a beautiful tile pattern without having to tile and grout! Winner!

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

This Orla Kiely style Retro Dandelion pattern above brings so much to this room. It would work in my guest room, but perhaps is a bit too retro for my usual tastes.

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

Alternatively, rather than a full on pattern I could add a single image as a focal point for the wall. This cheese plant sticker is a great alternative to those of us who love the botanical trend, but kill houseplants very easily! This would also be great for my small guest room as I get to have the appearance of a house plant, without it actually taking up any space!

I could pick from any of these modern geometric designs. Decisions decisions! I'm leaning towards the 'Lines 45 degrees' however.

I could pick from any of these modern geometric designs. Decisions decisions! I'm leaning towards the 'Lines 45 degrees' however.

Inkmill Vinyl is based based in Brighton, where their products are made and distributed. The designers and print professionals working for them have years of experience working in the information graphic and exhibition production industries, so they have the designer edge over other vinyl companies.

How brilliant is this? I'm not a cat lover ,but would add this to the skirting of a hallway if I was. Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

How brilliant is this? I'm not a cat lover ,but would add this to the skirting of a hallway if I was. Image courtesy of Inkmill Vinyl

What do you think I should go for? What do you think would look best? Are there any Inkmill Vinyl stickers or decals that have caught your eye? Let me know in the comments section below!

* This post was in collaboration with Inkmill Vinyl. However, all opinions and decorating conundrums and decisions are my own! I only work with companies and products I would use in my home, and think my readers would also like. Big thank you to Inkmill Vinyl for working with me and therefore supporting this blog.